Middle Years Program Overview
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (MYP) at Desert Academy is designed to help students develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to participate actively and responsibly in a changing world.
Early puberty and mid-adolescence is a particularly critical phase of personal and intellectual development and requires a programme that helps students participate actively and responsibly in a changing and increasingly interrelated world. Learning how to learn and how to evaluate information critically is as important as learning facts.
The IB Middle Years Program at Desert Academy provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and to become critical and reflective thinkers.
- Encourages international-mindedness in IB students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture.
- Encourages a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness, and participate actively in their communities.
- Reflects real life by providing a framework that allows students to see the connections among the subjects themselves, and between the subjects and real issues.
- Supports the development of communication skills to encourage inquiry, understanding, language acquisition, and to allow student reflection and expression.
- Emphasizes, through the learner profile, the development of the whole student–physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
For more information, contact our IB Middle Years Program Coordinator.Print This Page