At Desert Academy, athletics is an integral part of student life. We have a no-cut sports policy, which encourages all students to participate. While we don’t require any student to go out for sports, we have one of the highest participation rates in the state. Why? Because our students are respected, honored, and empowered on the athletic field.
Fall: Cross Country, Volleyball, and Soccer
Winter: Basketball and Swimming
Spring: Track and Field, and Golf
Winning is a by-product of our sports philosophy, not a primary objective.
Yet, our students’ success is impressive:
- The girls’ track and field team has won 12 of the last 13 district
- The boys’ track and field team has won 13 consecutive district championships.
- Desert athletes have won 9 state track and field championships in the last 5 years.
- Girls’ varsity basketball has gone an amazing 40-10 in the last two years while compiling a 17-1 district record.
- A Desert Academy sophomore won the state championship in golf in 2008.
- Over 60% of our students participate in interscholastic sports, which is more than double the national rate.
- Desert has the largest soccer team, as well as the largest track and field team, of any small school (Class A) in New Mexico.
- Desert teams regularly travel all over the Southwest and California to engage in high quality competition.
Some Accomplishments by Former Students:
- National fencing champion
- Downhill skier who qualified for the Olympic trails
- Two-time All-American wheelchair basketball player
- Silver medalist in the World Double Decathlon
- National silver-level horse vaulting
- National Olympic power-lifting medalist
- Dance (Juliard, Boston Conservatory), cross-country (Occidental College), crew (University of the Pacific), wheelchair basketball (University of Illinois), track and field (Santa Rosa College).
For more information on our athletic program or team schedules, please contact Natalie Passalacqua, Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.orgPrint This Page