The Desert Academy experience is student-centered, placing the individual at the axis of his/her learning adventure. Our curriculum emphasizes the higher-level thinking skills of analysis, synthesis, evaluation and creation. An education that fosters these skills produces reflective, open-minded, curious individuals—people who are engaged in their local communities and with the world at large.
In addition, our curriculum and programs seek to develop characteristics such as integrity and citizenship. Our advisory program offers activities specifically designed to promote these core values. Our integrated curriculum promotes these characteristics as well, through texts that present ethical dilemmas and discussions of historical and current events. Organizations such as the student council and the sustainability club also encourage integrity and citizenship by placing students at the center of their own educational experience. Our “no-cut” athletics program challenges all students to test their limits and promotes self-confidence. All of these things reinforce the notion that our students are responsible for their choices and, as such, control their fate. This sense of empowerment results in engaged citizens who believe in taking action.
Desert Academy Student Profile:
Desert Academy students are passionate participants in every aspect of our school community. They are thinkers, artists, and athletes who approach challenges with courage and enthusiasm. They promote intercultural understanding and recognize that strength of character and genuine civility lead to richer, more complete lives.
Current Students and Alumni Include:
- United States Presidential Scholar
- National Merit Scholarship Finalists
- National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars
- Exchange students from Italy, France and Germany
- Dancers who studied at the Juilliard Conservatory and Boston Conservatory
- Track and field state champions
- Artists whose works have appeared in local galleries, national shows, and international publications
- Nationally recognized fencing and equestrian champions
- Graduates placed at highly-selective, diverse colleges throughout the U.S., including Stanford, Brown, MIT, Middlebury, the University of Chicago, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Vassar, Swarthmore and Wellesley.
In Addition, Our Students:
- Star in our comedy improvisation troupe
- Study Chinese, French, and Spanish
- Spend semesters abroad
- Choose from a variety of local and national expeditionary learning opportunities
- Volunteer with local, national, and international service organizations
- Design their own computer programs
- Snowboard and ski with our winter sports program
- Run cross-country and track, play basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, and swim